Friday, February 14, 2014

UNIX Diary Week 3

Although a massive snowstorm cut the week short, I still continued to experiment with UNIX. Linux Mint is continuing to work well for me (though I can't seem to be Bumblebee to work) so my journey continues. This week was more focused about actual coding in C than it was about the OS itself, but I am now beginning to understand how concatenation is working now. Being able to take the output of one program and entering it as input in another program makes it easier to perform certain tasks without needing to write the code out for it myself. It can save time by creating two smaller programs instead of trying to cram in numerous functions into one program, especially when you're writing functions that you may use numerous times.

Also, we started to work with Git. I have some experience working with Git along with Subversion, but the terminal interface scared me away from continuing to use with it. However, after playing around with UNIX, I now realize that it's not actually that bad. It will be useful since I'm going to be working with numerous people on multiple projects and we all have to share the same files. This will help us in keeping track of any changes in the code a lot easier than other methods.

That's all for this week. It ended abruptly, but I did learn a lot in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment