Thursday, February 6, 2014

UNIX Diary Week 2

Over the last week I continued to experiment with the UNIX kernel. Over the course of this past week, I learned quite a few things:

1. Ubuntu 13.10 is terrible

When deciding which Linux operating system I should use for the class, I thought Ubuntu was the way to go. It's supposed to be the most streamlined version of Linux with an interface similar to other operating systems, but also contains all of the functions I would need for the course. However, after dealing with all the bugs and crashes, I decided that enough was enough and switched over to another Linux OS. Currently I am using Linux Mint 16 and have not encountered any issues so far. Let's hope that it stays that way.

2. Combining functions in UNIX gets confusing after a while

For this week, I decided to experiment with other functions in the course.  Some of them seem easy enough like "echo" and "cat", but I get confused when I try to combine some of the functions together. I understand that < copies files to a new location and | combines two functions together, but it gets confusing trying to combine all of the functions together and seeing exactly what is does. Hopefully with practice, I can get used to it.

3. Exit commands for the numerous functions in UNIX get confusing as well

While playing around with programs such as WeeChat, Nano, and Vim, I get confused when trying to exit each of the programs. Whether the command is Ctrl-D or Q or :X, each program works with its own specific commands and it gets confusing to memorizes all of them within a short amount of time from one another. Hopefully soon I will be able to memorize each of them so I no longer have this problem.

That's all for now. Still getting the hang of Linux/Unix so hopefully I'll have all the kinks worked out within a short period of time.

2 comments:

  1. Could you possibly expand on the errors and bugs you were having with Ubuntu? I was considering using Ubuntu and I want to experience more with Linux. I completely agree with the complication of memorizing so many shortcuts to navigate through all the programs in the shell. I hope there is more to Unix than complex navigation and confusing program tracking. I still have hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning on using Ubuntu as my Linux operating system but after reading your post it does not seem worth the effort. I have heard from many people that Linux Mint is a really good operating system and thinking about switching to that now. For exiting programs I have the same problem especially when using tmux I also forget that I have WeeChat up in another window and can never remember how to get to it. However I feel that once I start using Linux more often it will come easy to remember everything.

    ReplyDelete